7 June 2019, 11:00
Dr. Katia Simeonova is coordinator of the Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI) of the UNFCCC, and manager in the Transparency Framework sub-programme, within the Mitigation, Data and Analysis (MDA) programme of the UNFCCC Secretariat in Bonn Germany.
Her responsibilities include provide strategic guidance and leadership to:
- negotiations under the SBI;
- negotiations under on emission reduction targets and increasing ambition of mitigation action and related analytical work on assessment of effects from mitigation action;
- transparency framework under the Paris Agreement and measurement, review and verification under the UNFCCC and the Kyoto Protocol;
- methodological and implementation issues of mitigation, such as GHG emission inventories, reduced emissions from deforestation and forest degradation, agriculture and;
- fluorinated gases and emissions from international aviation and maritime transport
Also at the Secretariat, she is responsible for co-operation on climate activities with international organisations such as IMO, ICAO, FAO and also with UNEP, specifically on the preparation of the UNEP Emissions Gap report and fluorinated gases.
Prior of joining the UNFCCC Secretariat, Katia worked on scientific and methodological issues, and modeling in the area of energy and environment and, in particular, climate change mitigation at the national level. She also worked on climate change challenges in an international context, mainly as a consultant to international institutions, such as the UNEP, GEF, World Bank and UNFCCC Secretariat. She was also a lead author for the IPCC and was awarded with a certificate of the Nobel Prize that was awarded to the IPCC.
She hold a PhD on Energy Policy from the Moscow University on Power Engineering and a Master’s Degree on International Relations from the Fletcher School for Law and Diplomacy, from Tufts University, USA.